Friday, October 21, 2011

Halloween Wreath of Craptastic Fantasticness ...

Lately I've been addicted to which is a total time sucking fantastic site that has billions of ideas for anything you could ever want.  Since I rarely decorate for any holidays other than Christmas, I decided I better do something for Halloween besides just sticking a pumpkin out front.  (Last year I didn't even do that, I found some gourds growing in a ditch ... yes I'm in a rural area ... and stuck them in a huge basket on the front porch but some guy mowed the ditch this year so I was stuck.)

Anyway, I debated on making a tulle wreath or a feather boa wreath and since the tulle was cheaper than the boas and I only had 1 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby, I decided to make a tulle wreath. 

I bought a 14 inch styrofoam wreath (not in the floral section but back with the styrofoam stuff ... way cheaper than the green floral wreaths!!) ... bought 3 spools of black tulle, bought a package of small orange ornaments and a cute little "trick or treat" sign.  All bought at Hobby Lobby and everything was on sale but the styrofoam wreath so I used the coupon on that.  Woo hoo!

I cut the tulle into equal lengths (didn't measure with a measuring tape but I assume about 14 inches) and tied them onto the wreath form.  I used about 2-1/2 spools of tulle.  Then I attached the little hanging sign at the bottom, hot glued and tied 3 orange Christmas balls on the side and painted polka dots on them and then I attached a length of orangey fall ribbon to add some color.  I think I'm going back to Hobby Lobby tomorrow to get the polka dot ribbon they had since I think that will look better but for now, oh well.

This is going on my front door.  I still need a pumpkin though!  :)

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Another Altered Train Case

I love making these for some reason ... it's just relaxing!  Found this poor little case at Salvation Army for $1.99.  It was a mess, the whole interior was ripped out so I decided to see what I could do to rescue it.

I used Mod Podge and scrapbook paper to cover the interior and exterior and then I painted the bottom and handle pink with acrylic paint.  I used sticky glue dots to attach the scrabble tile letters, K & Company flowers and then I attached squares cut out of The Paper Studio "Yarn & Thread Emporium" card stock pack that I got at Hobby Lobby. 

I then coated the whole thing with water based varathane to seal it and harden it ... I find this works better than Mod Podge over the top although I do use Mod Podge first, let that dry and then use the varathane. 

I'm probably going to use this to store my crafty stuff.  Still need to seal the "squares" since I just put those on today but wanted to shoot some quick pictures and put them up here while it's drying.  :)